Monday, July 16, 2012

Week 1 BOC: Constructed Self Portrait


Constructed Self Portrait

GHOST Peter Lik


This is one of my favorite works of Peter Lik.  In this, sand was just thrown in the air to create dust and a ‘ghostly’ figure appeared.  I used my picture from the Phantom of the Opera as I thought it was appropriate to the setting inside this cave with a ghost, especially as my picture was taken with the word ‘Phantom’ above me.  Figures like the phantom or ghost have been frightening people for centuries.  Not really a fan of musicals but I enjoyed the show immensely and also not a huge fan of films or pictures that remind me of the dead but I love this photograph from Peter Lik.  I have visited his galleries in Las Vegas and this had always been one of the attractions.  Lik’s picture is probably never going to be duplicated by another photographer or even by Lik himself.  This was just by pure chance that the dust under the perfect beam of light presented itself this way. 

As a matter of fact Lik’s Ghost has won a prestigious award and had been displayed at the Smithsonian.  In the future, I would love my work to be displayed in well-known places for everyone to enjoy.  Although there are thousands of entries each year in any competition, if I strive hard enough, hopefully my work will be chosen as well.  Lik is self-taught and he is one of the world’s most awarded photographers, and as I progress in my field, I will travel the world and create unique, stunning images.
I was looking diligently for the right self photograph and suddenly I realized that I had this picture all along from a couple of years ago.  I made my photograph to what I believe is in size comparison to the ghost figure.  One thing about watching the Phantom of the Opera is that the theatre is very dark other than the stage, similarly here in the cave except for the light shining down on the canyon floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment